Tuesday, March 1, 2016

20 Time: First Blog Post

Plastic Pollution: 20 Time Project 2016

                             
(http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/oceanography/great-pacific-garbage-patch2.htm)

20% Time is an allotment of time that is given out in the classroom so that students can have a chance to explore their passions and creativity in a single project. 



For my 20 Time question I have asked how plastic effects both humans and the environment and how we can take practical measures to reduce the amount of plastic we use.

I chose this question to ask because ever since I was little, I have been concerned with the environment and wanted to help it in some way. Plastic and the chemicals within it, is a big factor in environmental health ever since scientists have discovered the garbage islands in our oceans and how marine animals and birds were and are getting sick from it. By exploring the main reasons why plastic is both beneficial and harmful to humans and the environment, I can hopefully find out what the root of our problem is and ways to address it.

I have two main goals for this project:
1) To spread awareness on how plastic is harmful towards both animals, the environment, and humans.
2) To discover new ways of reducing plastic use locally and to encourage others to use these methods for reducing their own plastic consumption such as using reusable bags when shopping instead of putting purchases in the plastic bags at the store.

I will measure my progress by setting goals for myself each time I post on my blog so I will have a clear idea on what I should be able to accomplish at the end of each week such as discovering new methods each week for reducing and reusing trash that would normally be thrown away at home. With these goals in mind, I can establish a realistic goal on the amount of work I can do each week.

Plan:
My plan for the next two weeks is to research as much as I can about the health effects of plastics on humans, animals, and the environment because in order for me to prioritize what the most important problems in plastic pollution so I can start to spread awareness to them and hopefully come up with ways to reduce the usage of some of the most common types of plastic products.



6 comments:

  1. I like this idea because so many people are concerned about the environment but because it is easier to not do much of anything, we continue to live our lives in the same manner. If there were easy ways to take care of waste, more people would not just think about being environmentally conscious. Have you considered asking people what extra efforts they make to recycle for some research?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good topic choice because the issue of plastic waste is prevalent right now. I know more steps have been taken over the past couple of years to reduce the use of plastic bags and since there is already a monetary incentive at many places, albeit small, are there other ways that you will try to come up with that can motivate people even more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea because pollution is a big issue right now and its good that you chose a topic you've been interested in for a while. I like how your not only spreading awareness your also coming up with a alternative solution to help this issue. How do you plan on reducing other peoples plastic consumption?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I like how you've decided to set goals for each week because that definitely increases productivity. Where do you plan to conduct your research? I think you could actually talk to the APES teacher, Ms. Thomson, if you want a fresh perspective on the effect of plastic on our environment. You could definitely learn more methods by talking to her. Good job so far!

    Tiffany Zheng

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how this topic is environmentally friendly. Maybe instead of just researching how it effects people and animals, you can also figure out a way to use the plastic such as recycling and finding more practical uses for it. How else can you get a greater number of people involved?

    ReplyDelete
  6. El Nino has potential to have a big impact on plastic going into the ocean. All this runoff pushes plastic into waterways that eventually lead to the bay/ocean. Have you thought about monitoring this or targeting that?

    ReplyDelete